Sub-Metering is a term used for installing individual meters behind the city master meter. Sub-Meters are the same type of meters the city uses to measure water usage.
In the past, multi-family communities had one master city water meter which would service all residents. The water and sewer costs were simply included in the monthly homeowners dues and divided equally among the residents. This worked well when water/sewer rates were a fraction of what they are today and possible future water shortages was not a concerning issue.
- Residents only pay for the water they use and not their neighbor’s laundry, car wash, toilet/faucet leaks, or excessive water use.
- Eliminates the residential water costs from the monthly homeowners’ dues which in turn can help to keep the dues low and improves property values.
- Residents pay their water/sewer bill just as they pay other utilities such as gas, electric, etc.
- Promotes water conservation. When residents are accountable for their water usage, it encourages them to conserve.
- Sub-Meters can detect costly leaks. There is a red triangle on the face of the meter that moves when water is running through the meter. A leaky toilet can waste 50,000 gallons of water in 30 days!
Water Submetering For Condos and HOA's.
Would you like to know more about the benefits of submetering for Condominiums and HOA’s?
Our customers say...
As an employee of N.N. Jaeschke, Inc., an Associa Company; I have had the opportunity to work with American Sub-Meters, Inc. dba California Sub-Meters (CSM) since 1991.
They have provided my accounts with first rate customer service with their sub-meter reading, billing and collection services for the nine years that I have worked at N.N. Jaeschke, Inc.
N.N. Jaeschke, Inc. currently has many accounts that are sub-metered Homeowner Association/Communities throughout the state of California in which California Sub-Meters provides their specialized services.
Jeanne Mikita, Community Association Manager